Sunday, August 4, 2013

If I Were in Charge, the Rules Would Be Different

Source: Proimos, J. (2002). If I were in charge, the rules would be different. New York: Scholastic Press.

Genre: Poetry

Age: All Ages!

      First of all, let me begin by warning you that you take on this book, it's not exactly Keats or Eliot. Just look at the cover of this fun specialized poetry book:
 The back of the book reads: "Ahem. The proper way to read the title of this book is standing on your head. Thank you." Obviously, this book was intended for a young audience; you can tell by the fun voice the author uses throughout. The meaning behind the poems are all lighthearted, and the rhythm and rhyme both help keep it that way. Just look at the the title poem included: 

 If I were in Charge the Rules Would be Different

 It hurts me to lecture you, Mommy, 
but you didn't eat all your salami. 
 Plus, your room is way too neat
and you have socks on both your feet. 
 Why in the world, may I ask, 
 did you go and take out the trash? 
 You also get every inch of blame
 for hardly playing your video game. 
 Oh, after all you put me through, 
 what am I gonna do with you? 
 Go to your room and don't come out
 until you learn to whine and pout! 

The rhythm is very "sing-songy" and fast-paced. This AA/BB pattern poem instantly attracts children into listening because it is so enticing with its cadence. When I began reading to my fifteen month daughter, she instantly grinned and seemed to listen intently. Even when children don't understand every world, they hear the fun rhyming ends and it continues to keep their attention throughout. I also think this book would be good for older students because they were understand the humor and meaning behind the poem. It's intended to make the audience smile and appreciate its silliness. 

Another one of my favorites is entitled "My Delightful Derriere" because it begins with the stanza: 

 I'm so proud of my butt, 
 my roundish rump, 
 my delightful derriere. 

 What child wouldn't want to finish reading this poem? I'm 30 years old and I can't wait to read about why this speaker is so proud of his butt. It was absolutely delightful. 

 Again,  this isn't the type of book that's going to move you or bring tears to your eyes, but you will certainly get a few giggles, and your kids or students will, too!  




        

No comments:

Post a Comment