Thursday, August 22, 2013

Field Experience

The KTS that I feel I met are numbers 1, 7, and 11.

Standard 1: The teacher demonstrates applied content knowledge.
I used my knowledge of Common Core standards to create kid friendly "I can" statements and formative assessments. This was a very time-consuming task, but I feel that it was beneficial. We had to really tear down every standard and have lengthy discussions about each. I had to use my classroom experience and critical thinking skills to make this work.

Standard 7: The teacher reflects on and evaluates teaching and learning.
I cannot believe how much I have done this already this year. Since I have volunteered to pilot a Standards Based Grading policy, I have to reflect and evaluate every since thing I do. Every assignment has to be truly aligned with Core Content before I give it, and my feedback has to be more meaningful than ever. This was tough to explain to parents because it's totally new to me as well, but I do think it will be worth the effort and in the end make me a better and more effective teacher.

Standard 11: The teacher demonstrates the dispositions: caring, a strong work ethic, critical and creative thinking, and a commitment to excellence.
I think I met this standard because of my Walmart encounter. When a student you know has struggled through life says that you taught him to help others, you know you've shown dedication and commitment to students and the education field.

No comments:

Post a Comment